The Charles Trowbridge House
The Oldest House in Detroit
The oldest house in Detroit is the Charles Trowbridge House, built in 1826 near the banks of the Detroit River on River Road (now Jefferson Avenue). It’s not just the oldest house, either. 1380 East Jefferson is the oldest documented structure in the city!
There has been some speculation as to which side of the historic home was originally the front. Old maps show the Trowbridge House facing River Road, which would have ran behind the house, parallel to where Jefferson Avenue currently exists. Around the year 1850, a brick addition to the (current) rear of the house and an outlying brick stable were built. The stable features additional Queen Anne Victorian elements such as the large, front-facing gable.
Not only has the 19th century house survived nearly 200 years, it is still in use as a commercial property! The Trowbridge House is now home to several businesses including the Trowbridge Law Firm, Trowbridge Realty, and Dickson & Associates.
National Register of Historic Places: May 28, 1976; Building # 76001042
State of Michigan Register of Historic Sites: July 26, 1974 # P4497